We are committed to providing our residents with tools that help each of them become self-sufficient. Our aim is to show the women and children of our shelter the forgiveness and love of Jesus Christ, which we believe fosters good decision-making and healthy living.
Women come to us from various circumstances. Some are suffering the trauma of domestic violence. Others may come directly from jail or off the streets, while some have lost jobs and have no outside support. Many women come to us from generations of poverty or have suffered other life-changing circumstances. Women and children come to the Haven of Peace for help and guidance. The women are eighteen (18) years-of-age or older, while the children are of all ages for girls and up to eight (8) years-of-age for boys (due to dormitory setting).
MRS. ETHEL ELLISON
Founder of the Haven of Peace
Ethel and her husband, Carl, ran the Stockton Gospel Mission. One evening as it was getting dark, she had to tell yet another woman there was no place at the mission for her to stay. Walking out the door, the woman turned and said, “It’s strange — There is a shelter for men and for children, and an animal shelter for the dogs and cats, but no place for women!” That night, the Lord placed a burden on Ethel’s heart to provide a place for women in need.
On August 01, 1957, women from thirteen (13) churches formed a temporary Board of Directors for the organization that would become the Haven of Peace (the first homeless shelter for women and children in San Joaquin County). The group found an old two-story house. The Lord spoke to His people to help raise the money needed to purchase the building and a local Christian businessman carried the balance needed at a low-interest rate. In June 1959, after much prayer, cleaning and painting, they were ready to move in. As time went on, the Haven outgrew that little house. In September 1967, groundbreaking services were held at our present location in French Camp.
The Haven of Peace has adopted the butterfly in our logo as the butterfly symbolizes a new life. For the first time, it has wings to fly with freedom and independence. That is what it’s like to see a resident change as she grows. She leaves the Haven with a new direction, a new life. So whenever you see a butterfly, remember, as a result of your prayers and personal contributions, miracles are always happening at the Haven of Peace. Women are learning how to fly on their own!
Statement of Faith
- …the Bible to be inspired and the only infallible authorized word of God;
- …that there is only one true living God, and He exists as three distinct personalities: The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit — We acknowledge these as the Holy Trinity;
- …in the deity of Christ, His virgin birth and His sinless life;
- …that Jesus died for our sins, was resurrected and ascended to the right hand of God the Father;
- …that Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, will return with power and glory;
- …that regeneration of the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for salvation;
- …that the Holy Spirit exists in the hearts of all believers and He enables all believers to live a Godly life;
- …in the bodily resurrection of both the saved and the lost; Those which are saved will resurrect unto life eternal and the lost will descend into damnation;
- …in the spiritual unity of all believers;
- …in the universal body of believers.